My Ponder List

  • "Now is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end.But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." Winston Churchill

Friday, July 29, 2011

CANADIAN JUNIOR 2011 CHAMPIONSHIPS AT MONTREAL

The WESTMOUNT LAWN B.C. will be hosting the 18 and Under Championships starting on Wednesday August 3rd and running to Saturday the 6th.
It is a strong field of young bowlers featuring 13 male teens, including the Ontario 2011 champion and defending Canadian gold medalist Jake Schuknecht , he also won Canadian gold in 2008. On the female side sister Christine Schuknecht is this year's Ontario champ and looking to make it a double, double against her 7 other competitors from across the country. Christine ,just 14 and a recent graduate of elementary school, has had some bowls year already. Besides her Junior prowess, she qualified for both Pairs and Singles to play in the current Provincials out of District 8. 






The offspring of Steve and Barb Schuknecht, their bowling interest is a natural with Dad and Mom both keen and successful bowlers out of the Chesley Club.
" I started when I was 9", said Jake. " I wanted to start before that but Dad  wouldn't let me start until I could make the bowl to the hogline. Both Mom and Dad bowled and we all had to go down and watch, so rather and sit around and do nothing I thought I might as well bowl. So I kept trying and at 9 I made it. I signed up and became a member and Dad started taking me out to tournaments my first year and that just started it all.  Even though I was bowling Dad wouldn't let me do juniors until I was 16. Sean, my older brother, started bowling when I was 7 and he did juniors against Ryan Bester, Andrew Wagner and other great bowlers so Dad didn't want me to get blown away." [ED. Excellent Juniors, wise Dad.]   
It is obvious the grounding in basics, the gradual development towards exceptional competitive bowls and the sportsmanship the family displays was nurtured at a young age by modeling their parents.
      I found this photo of Jake in the WOBA 2010 files. A fun loving guy with a smile that gives sunshine to a cloudy day. He and Michael Pituley had chosen chapeaus with a little more ' flair'. Always a  'give his all ' player, Jake rides the waves of success and losses with the same demeanour, the same acceptance when the luck is on the other side and the same recognition that it is but a game.

Off to Montreal the Ontario contingent will go. Along with Christine, will be Kaitlin Ryan who was the Canadian gold medalist in 2009 in Saskatoon and won a Bronze last year at Fairmont in London. Ashley Green will be the other Ontario entry.
For the boys, Mitchell Dack and Josh Cameron  head east as well to give Ontario a full roster for this National event.
It will be competitive. Besides Michael Pituley , Sask. are sending Grant Wilkie who won silver last year in the Under 18. I had a first hand look at his ability in Edmonton when he played Pairs in the Major Championships. These young bowlers are good. They are a lifeline for our growth as a sport.
Profiter, de bien jouer.




No comments: