My Ponder List

  • "Now is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end.But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." Winston Churchill

Friday, June 12, 2009

" Leaving on a Jet Plane " & A 'WOW' Tournament Thought

Off to Hanover to participate in the Fours.
My purpose is to give it my best effort to assist our team to be successful.
If we qualify for the Canadians I will celebrate heartily with my teammates.
If we do not I will congratulate the Ontario reps and be a supporter in their quest for a National title.
So your source to keep your finger on the action is the OLBA website at www.olba.ca . Especially our interest is on the draw , always interesting and a key factor in team success and surprises, and the game scores as they tournament unfolds and builds the medal pyramid block by block.
I will take along my lap top but I am not sure of connection availability and besides I intend to focus on 1 rink at a time.
I know the Hanover folk will look after us real well. It is the character of smaller hosting centers to make you feel like you are coming to sit down in the family dining room and having a home cooked meal.
I will increase my mental notes and try to reduce my mental mistakes so I can relate some ' on the scene' stories when we return home.

Don Caswell and I tuned up by playing in Windsor on Thursday at the 'Frank Hudson ' , a true gentleman and dandy bowler, but came home with wet clothes and empty pockets.
We played through off and on rain during game one , had a warming and filling chicken pie lunch and got wetter in one end of game 2 due to off leaving and on increasing.
All this made me think of a suggestion by Wayne Wright one day when we were solving all the questions and problems of bowls in a between game rest.
Clubs depend on the completion of scheduled tournaments to assist in the financial support of their activities. Often rainouts are moneyouts. The norm is to try and play a full game and 1/2 of the second game to qualify as a completed tournament. We know it is hard to reschedule since the Ontario bookings are significant. As well even if you do find a new date some or many of your original entries have other committments.
Nearly always, if teams have arrived for the day, one game can be completed.
Says wise owl Wayne (WOW ) take all the allotted prize money, divide it equally( no positional ranking) and award it to the winners of game one. Tournament completed as scheduled.
Since this is one of Windsor's major tournaments they will try another date. You should try Windsor as well. The greens are running well, even in the rain.

No comments: