My Ponder List

  • "Now is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end.But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." Winston Churchill

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

ONTARIO JUNIOR BOWLS CHAMPIONSHIPS 2010

Peterborough  Lawn Bowling Club
June 26,27
18 &Under Singles

GOLD
District 7 - KAITLIN RYAN
District 2 - DYLAN JACOBS

SILVER
District 15 - STEPHANIE MILLER
District 8 - JACOB SCHUKNECHT
Gold & Silver Qualified for The Canadian Championships at the Fairmont Lawn Bowling
Club
August 4-7, London, Ontario

BRONZE
District 3 - STEPHANIE KENT
District 14 - MITCHELL DACK




From the Peterborough Examiner

Peterborough player earns first medal in third provincial championship

Mitchell Dack is steadily climbing the ladder at the under-18 provincial lawn bowling championships.
The 15-year-old Peterborough re s ident claimed a bronze medal at the Ontario U18 championships hosted at the Peterborough Lawn Bowling Club on Saturday and Sunday.
This is the third year Dack has competed in the provincial championships and the first time he has won a medal.
Dack will get three more chances in future years to try for silver and gold.
Dack defeated Kitchener’s Josh Cameron 21-15 to complete the weekend with a 4-3 overall record.
“It feels good to win a medal,” Dack, a Grade 10 student at Kenner Collegiate, told The
Examiner on Sunday. It feels good to win a medal. I think I bowled excellent this weekend. The experience, I think, helped.” Mitchell Dack Peterborough lawn bowler
“I think I bowled excellent this weekend. The experience, I think, helped.”
Dack was defeated in the semifinal by London’s Dylan Jacobs, who went on to claim his second-consecutive Ontario title with a 21-20 comeback win against Chesley’s Jake Schuknecht. Jacobs trailed 20-17, but reeled off a single point in four-straight ends to rally for victory.
“Jake is a really good bowler. I was trying to keep it respectable and I got lucky,” said Jacobs.
Last year, Jacobs finished third at the U18 nationals, but he won gold at the U25 nationals, earning a trip to the World U25 Lawn Bowling Championships in Australia where he placed 10th.
He has two goals this year. He’d like to win gold at the U18 Canadian championships, but also take the U25 title to get a return trip to Australia.
“I know nobody wants it more than me. That’s what I keep telling myself,” said Jacobs.
The finalists in both the boys and girls’ divisions advance to the Canadian U18 championships Aug. 4-7 at Fairmont in London.
Kitchener’s Kaitlin Ryan captured her second-straight Ontario title defeating Brighton’s Stephanie Miller 21-16 in the final.
Simcoe’s Stephanie Kent took the bronze beating Christine Schuknecht 21-19.
Ryan, 17, also the defending Canadian U18 champion, was excited to defend her provincial title.
“It’s a great accomplishment and I’m really proud of myself to know that I can do that well,” said Ryan.
“I just tried my best and it, obviously, showed. My competitors were great.
“They were tough to beat. It was a great weekend.”
NOTES: Two other Peterborough Lawn Bowling Club members competed in the boys’ division. Jesse Caldwell finished with a 3-2 round-robin record, but placed third in his pool of five and failed to advance to the semifinal round. His younger brother Lucas placed fourth in the same division with a 2-3 record.... There were 10 competitors in the boys’ division and 16 in the girls.
By 
MIKE DAVIES Examiner Staff Writer 

No comments: