My Ponder List

  • "Now is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end.But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." Winston Churchill

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The CHALLENGE 10 - CANADIAN CANCER SOCIETY DONATION

Tuesday, June 8th
I am on the road again. Six Nations Reserve on Monday night for a grandson lacrosse game, another game in Burlington to-night, hope the rain clears and be able to pair up with Jurgen Fessler on Wednesday in Seaforth, off to Windsor to play with one of my Fours teammates Don Caswell, in Guelph for lacrosse tournament on Friday, before settling back in Burlington trying to squeeze up to the front of the championship line.
Whew! It takes your breath away.
But not as much as when your cancer doctor gives you a good report.
I saw Dr Chin in London to-day. PSA lower, The DRE smooth, the doctor satisfied, the patient delighted.
"My demise has been greatly exaggerated." Mark Twain
Fact : 95% of prostate cancer is curable if detected and treated in its earliest stages.
Fact : 1 in 6 men are diagnosed with prostate cancer and this is expected to rise to 1 in 4 within a decade.
Think of it as 1 player on every Fours team.

Challenge the Challenge 10. The task is simple -select the teams that will qualify for the Canadian Championships; the success is difficult.
I can't post the final odds until I get home so they will be up Wednesday night or early Thursday morning.
Donate if you can, play the Challenge if you want.

You were magnificent last year. I was hoping we could donate $100 and we presented a cheque for $445 at the end of the Challenge fun competition.
I started this last year because it is for a cause that has touched so many. I live with prostate cancer and I may die because of it but it does not change my view of life. 
Dream like you will live forever and live like you will die to-morrow. 
I am one of so many that has a choice when our circumstances deviate. I choose to do what I can to treat my condition and continue to open my eyes each morning to the world in all of its splendour. 
Don't feel sorry for me, I have been blessed in this life I lead.
Don't be embarrassed to ask, if I can help in understanding your concerns.
I want all to be proactive in monitoring your health needs. 
I speak especially to the guys since women in their natural caring and concerned ways tend to reach out for others and themselves when necessary.
But we men deny and delay when haste is a key factor in curing our malady.
Cancer will be conquered and even our little contribution will make a difference.


I know you are buffeted on all sides for requests for donations. If you can wonderful, if you can't I know you are supporting in your own way.
If you decide to be involved in this campaign:
You can play the Challenge Bowls Game as described below.
Or - You can donate any amount and not be in on test of your research and analytic skill. 


Here is what will happen to your donation this year:
1.You donate and request a receipt ( I will do the paperwork).
2.You donate and you don't want a receipt. This group then have the  option to be in on a group purchase of tickets supporting the Annual Cancer Society Lottery. 
All prizes are converted to cash and divided equally after prorating your contribution. For prizes that can't be converted we will have our own draw to determine the winner. One share ( BOB) for each $10 donation. 
3.You donate , don't want a receipt but prefer not to be involved in the lottery.


Already I have had two wonderful ladies, skilled in both bowls and compassion, hand me unsolicited donations. 
We are in this together.


THE CHALLENGE: Have the biggest deposit in the BOB ( Bank of Bob ) when the Big Three {Fours, Pairs, Singles } 2010 Provincial Championships are completed.


THE COST: Ten dollar $10.00 entry fee but you can donate any amount you wish. All fees ( no administrative expenses, no cash to winners) will be donated to the CANADIAN CANCER SOCIETY. Half of the proceeds will be designated to the Canadian Breast Cancer Society and the other half to  Prostate Cancer Research. Free entry if residing in New Zealand, Australia and Guernsey . Receipts will be issued by the Canadian Cancer Society if requested.I will tabulate and submit at the end of the Challenge and make the request for you.

ENTRY: Submit your name to me at ant time but preferably before the Fours so you can participate in the 3 events. You can pledge your entry fee by email and then either wait to catch up with me somewhere in Ontario this summer or mail a cheque to my address ( check with me by email ). Multiple entries are accepted.You can be identified by your name, a team name or a numbered account ( a modern game ).

THE TASK: You will have $10,000 bob credited to your newly opened account for every $10 donated on entry. Let us call it the Bowls Ontario (BO) stimulus package. Your mission, "should you choose to accept it ...", will be to parlay that amount into a substantial profit. The method of your madness is to wager any amount of your dollars( minimum bet of $1000 ) on the upcoming BIG THREE Provincial Championships. This isn't the easy win, place show of the races, you have to pick the winners of the event. But to make it a cinch to be successful you win if your selections qualify for the Canadians ( 1st or 2nd ). If you lose all your money, game over and placed on the bankrupt list. Despite baseball's Pete Rose rule you can, are even encouraged, to bet on your own team.

THE ODDS: You have and are creating them as we speak by submitting your ranking predictions. They are ever changing so you can submit your 'bet' when you judge the odds are best for your maximum return.

PAYOUT: the Parimutuel system will be used but with no 14.25% commission deducted before the winning distribution. Wikipedia has a clear explanation of the calculations.

PRIZES: The enjoyment of the camaraderie and the satisfaction of doing something for others without credit. 




No comments: