My Ponder List

  • "Now is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end.But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." Winston Churchill

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

SEASON 09 UNDERWAY POTPOURRI

SPRING TRAINING @ NIAGARA FALLS L.B.C. is the ' only game in town' this time of year. 
Eight rinks, about a 10 second pace, a dandy clubhouse with bar, two televisions to help keep one eye on the NHL playoffs - Molson Canadian you know - and the weather has been good to boot. Where did 'to boot' come from? Kudos to the greenskeeper. The running surface is overall B+ ( perhaps should be an 'A' this early in year) with a quirk here and there to prevent boredom. Two weekends, 3 tournaments completed , with the May 9/10 schedule to come. I mention Molson because I get a kick out of their hockey ads - probably because it is a memory trip. I don't need a venue that provides alcohol but it is an appreciated option for many bowlers - more worldwide than in Canada.
Three matches, 3 winners. April 26 OF Wayne Wright(S), Mark Sandford, Bob North, Don Caswell;
May 2 F Ron Geniole(S), Gord Legacy, Chris Dixon , David Llewellyn May 3 OF Ian Jones (S) (I am guessing positions) Mike Bester, Chris Bester, Bob Bester. I listed these results because I was toying with establishing a seasonal ranking system and because I may not be on it again.
My mulling has produced, so far, this criteria: Minimum of 14 teams entered ( an exception if 4 or over rated teams are entered ), entry fee minimum is $10 ( not including lunch ) , a weighted scoring system based on number of entries ( in progress) . I will have to consult with the guru of numbers Dave Burrows. Mind you I didn't say I was going to do this, just working on a system. However if you want to send me the results of tournaments that fit the criteria ( top 3 finishers, all team members ) I will fiddle with an unofficial rank & file.
St. Marys has entered the early bird realm by hosting an OF tournament May 9th. I spoke to James McLellan at the OLBA Spring Meeting and he informs me the greens will be running well IF the weather doesn't add too much moisture. The St Marys club is another one of our small hidden gems. Great location on the river plain , greens that will be running 12-13 seconds mid-season and in a relaxing setting surrounded by the beauty of the stone historic town.

CANADA IN ACTION AT WORLD BOWLS IN SOUTH AFRICA

Ontario bowlers JOANNE BUGLER, SHIRLEY KO, LAURA HAWRYSKZO plus DAVID ANDERSON AND JOHN DEVONSHIRE are in Johannesburg competing at the Atlantic Championships May 3-16. MARLENE CLEUTINX ( BC ) and HARRIETTE PITULEY round out the Women's team. KEITH RONEY( Sask.), LYALL ADAMS (Alberta ) and TERRY O'NEIL 
(NS ) complete the Men's side.
Check out the results on http:// www.worldbowlsltd.co.uk  - Enter/Results/Results Summary for Pairs and Triples.
The countries are divided into two sections. A team must finish in the top four in their section to
 play in the 1/4 finals on May 8th in the afternoon. The time difference is 6 hours ahead of Ontario time.

I must help in the garden now or my wife will ground me for the weekend.
I will continue with news from the OLBA meeting.

BobB

 

No comments: